This week went pretty good. I enjoyed the weather and the workouts. The highlight of my week was the hike I did on Saturday. Here is a little video of the experience: Taylor Canyon Hike
WEEK 2: October 24-30, 2011
• 40 minute brisk walk
• Strengthening Exercises: push ups (2 x 10 reps), triceps dips (2 x 10 reps), leg lifts (2 x 15 reps), clams (2 x 15 reps), bridge-squeezers (30 reps), bridge-thigh abductors (30 reps), side planks (hold for 30 seconds each side)
• Nada for cardio
• Strengthening exercises: lifts (2 x 15 reps), clams (2 x 15), bridge-squeezers (30 reps), bridge-thigh abductors (30 reps), side planks (30 seconds each side)
• Let’s just chalk today up as “one of those days”. The jogger still has a flat so I needed to either get up early and workout before Ken left for work or do it when he got home in the evening. Since I didn’t get much sleep last night (little Teague had a rough night), I opted to do the workout at night. We ended up having family over for dinner and by the time I could head out the door it was pitch black outside. Needless to say, it didn’t happen. Lesson learned…get workout done in the morning or it won’t happen. I did do some strengthening exercises right before bed.
• 40 minute brisk walk; 2.8 miles (14 minutes per mile—wahoo!)
• Baron Baptiste Level 2 Yoga–38 minutes
• My alarm went off at 6am, but I hit snooze a couple of times before I rolled out of bed to do some yoga. About half way through the DVD, Raelee woke up. She came out into the living room and immediately wanted to watch “Sleeping Beauty” (for like the tenth day in a row). I told her we could watch it just as soon as I finished yoga. She started melting down and saying over and over again, “mommy don’t do yoda!” I continued on, despite the added noise, but didn’t quite finish the DVD before Teague woke up. Oh the joys of motherhood! Later in the morning Teague took a pretty good nap and I was able to fix the flat tire on the jogger. Around 11:30 we went for a walk. I felt pretty good. The weather was a little cooler, but still nice. Both kids fell asleep in the jogger, so I was able to focus on getting in a decent workout. I think I showered and got ready for the day today at 4 pm. Nice!
• 50 minute brisk walk
• Strengthening exercises: static doorway (2 x 30 seconds), full body clench (3 x 15 seconds), squats (2 x 30 reps), push ups (2 x 10 reps), triceps dips (2 x 10 reps)
• 50 minute brisk walk; 3.41 miles; 14:30 per mile
• Strengthening exercises: static doorway (2 x 30 seconds), full body clench (3 x 30 seconds), squats (2 x 30 reps) ouch!, push ups (2 x 10 reps), triceps dips (2 x 10 reps)
• We left the house early to fit this workout in before our lunch date with some friends at 11:30 am. Today I realized it is hard to fit the workouts in on the days we have other commitments. I got us out the door pretty early, so it was a little chillier outside. I bundled up the kids so they would stay nice and warm in the jogger. They both seemed content. Teague falls asleep every time in the jogger baby sling, which is awesome, but I wish there was an easy way to detach the sling because he wakes up each time I get him out. Bummer! I did the strengthening exercises before bed when the kids were asleep. I can tell I’m going to be sore from the squats. Overall, I was proud of myself for getting in the workout earlier in the morning and felt good about the quality of the walk.
• Did Yoga Baron Baptiste Level 1—30 minutes
• My lower back feels slightly achy and heavy. My hips also felt really tight today. I wonder if it is from the squats yesterday. It is hard to tell right now what pain is good (the getting in shape—strengthening pain) and what pain is bad.
• 25-30 minute brisk walk
• 5-7 minutes of abs and strengthening exercises: planks-sides and middle, supermans, boat, leg lifts, clams, squeezers, regulars, sides, scissors, V’s
• 36 minute brisk walk; 2.26 miles; 15:55 per mile
• Didn’t do abs
• Overall, I felt pretty good today. The weather was once again beautiful. I kept thinking about how tough it is going to be when the weather turns and I’ll have to start doing a lot of my workouts on the treadmill. I like knowing that both kids are content in the jogger during my workouts right now. I have a feeling the treadmill workouts will have a lot of interruptions. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the weather stays nice for a little bit longer.
• 60-70 minute brisk walk
• Strengthening Exercises: push ups (2 x 10 reps), triceps dips (2 x 10 reps), leg lifts (2 x 15 reps), bridge-squeezers (30 reps), bridge-thigh abductors (30 reps), side planks (hold for 30 seconds each side)
• 84 minutes of hiking in Taylor Canyon
• Strengthening Exercises: push ups (2 x 10 reps), leg lifts (2 x 15 reps), bridge-squeezers (30 reps), clams (2 x 15 reps), side planks (hold for 30 seconds each side)
• We went and watched Ken (my husband) race the Provo Halloween Half Marathon. He took second…wahoo! I don’t know if it had something to do with the zero amount of sleep I got last night (Teague had a rough night) or if deep down I’m getting sick of being just a spectator of the sport rather than a participant, but I was just in a bad mood. I was feeling overwhelmed with Raelee running around all over the place and Teague crying. I could barely watch the race with so many distractions. When we got home I went for a hike up Taylor’s Canyon toward Malan’s Basin. It was exactly what I needed. The hike was beautiful and I came home refreshed, renewed, and ready to tackle dinner, kids, and bedtime. I love what working out does for me mentally!
by Janae Richardson – Runner | Coach